Translate

Thursday, January 12, 2023

A manifestation of the goodness of God

Benjamin Lloyd’s Primitive Hymns identifies only one hymn writer. A note under hymn number 690 explains, “This hymn was composed by Rev. F. Swint, formerly a member of the Darien Church, Ga., in view of the discord produced by the introduction of the religious societies in the churches.” Elder Frederick Swint (1789-1860) (there called “Reverend”) was an early Baptist minister in Chambers County, Alabama. He was one of four ministers of the presbytery when Mount Pisgah Primitive Baptist Church was constituted in 1837, and was the first pastor of the church. Don Clark, from Mount Pisgah, told me that Lloyd’s hymn book has been continuously used in the song services at Mount Pisgah Church since it was published in 1841. (Some photos of the Mount Pisgah Church building may be seen HERE.)

Frederick Swint composed the following poetry that was included in Benjamin Lloyd’s Primitive Hymns, published in 1841. It is Hymn 690 on page 694, written in Long Meter, titled “A manifestation of the goodness of God.”

1. My brethren dear, hear me relate
The troubles I have seen of late;
The sorrows I have waded through,
Only my God and Christ can know.

2. My heart with sorrow is cast down;
My brethren on me cast a frown;
Which often makes my fear and doubt,
The Lord has never called me out.

3. I do go mourning every day,
And feel like some poor castaway;
Which makes me often doubt the call,
Or whether I am called at all.

4. I have been tempted oft of late,
By the great tempter of my soul,
From the church of Christ to turn away,
And treat them all as they treat me.

5. But my poor heart was then so hard,
’Twas not one tear that I could shed;
One look from Christ did melt it down,
And made me love the church again.

6. Now, my dear brethren, I confess
That this indeed has been the case;
Thanks be to God, who brought relief,
In and through Christ’s own righteousness.

Biographical History of Primitive or Old School Baptist Ministers of the United States by R. H. Pittman (Anderson, Ind., Herald Printing Co., 1909, p. 261) gives the following sketch of Swint:

Swint, Elder Frederick (1789-1860), of Alabama, was in early life convicted of sin, given a hope in the meritorious work of Jesus, united with the Baptists and a few years later was ordained to the gospel ministry. He was considered an able preacher, sound in the faith and full of hospitality, and his home was always open to his brethren. It was his custom to hold family prayer each night when at home. He was gifted as a writer also. Hymn No. 690 of Lloyd’s Collection is his composition. He raised a family of sixteen children, was a man of general information and wide influence and died as he lived— trusting in the all-sufficient atonement of Jesus for salvation.

No comments: