Translate

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Have a blessed Thanksgiving

We don’t do “stuffing.” Turkey was never part of my holiday tradition growing up. I suppose pore folks could only afford to dress a chicken and not stuff a turkey. And eventually we grew to prefer it. There is not much I love more on the holidays than a good ole pan of chicken and dressing (Southern style, that means cornbread).

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed Joni Eareckson Tada’s stuffing story on the radio yesterday, A House Of Feasting. She told of their Thanksgiving after marriage, when she “announced to [her husband] Ken that I would be using a traditional East Coast stuffing recipe with oysters.” Now I suppose my reaction would be much the same as his at the mention of oysters. However, her husband Ken wanted his mother’s stuffing – made with bologna! “’You guys use bologna?’ ‘Yeah,’ Ken said. ‘The cheap kind, too.’” Joni decided “this was not a hill to die on,” went along, and concluded, “There’s nothing like salt and grease to make things taste great.” 

I never heard or could have conceived of such. Yet, there is something intriguing about a stuffing made with bologna – as Ken said, “lots of salt and grease.” Almost makes me want to try it (but I’m afraid the bread might be way over on the light side, i.e., not cornbread as we require in the South). If you’re a brave or baloney-loving soul, the recipe can be found HERE

Have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving.
 
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

No comments: