Translate

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Whom do you trust?

A few weeks ago – maybe more – I read a “Covid” article that asked whether you trust Dr. Anthony Fauci or Texas’ Lt. Governor Dan Patrick. The question was rhetorical, framed in a context where the answer should be Dr. Fauci. However, to myself, I answered that I am not sure I trust either of them. I have tried to explain my nagging distrust of Fauci, excusing him based on the changing scenarios of a new virus. After his evasion during a Friday July 31 House subcommittee hearing on the novel coronavirus, I decided he certainly has at least some political agenda. Under questioning by Ohio representative Jim Jordan, Dr. Fauci slipped and slid and continually evaded “opining” on whether protests spread coronavirus.[i]
In the past months, Dr. Fauci has opined on just about everything else – crowds in churches, isolating individuals, closing schools, bars, and restaurants. In April, he even opined on dating and sex during the time of coronavirus. He has opinions on all these and more, but none on protests? Come on, Doc!
Says the guy who wants to limit all kinds of things, when asked about protests: “I don't know how many times I can answer that. I’m not going to opine on limiting anything.”
Says the guy who judges the safety of all sorts of activities: “And I don't judge one crowd versus another crowd.”
Says the guy who says crowds, but won’t say protests: “I said crowds. I didn’t say specifically — I didn’t say protests.”
This exchange confirmed my suspicions about Dr. Fauci. Perhaps Dr. Anthony Fauci can be rightly called the nation’s top infectious disease doctor, but his seminal evasion of Jordan’s question put a question mark on him. How far can I trust him? He does not just have the nation’s best interest at heart, but he also has some political agenda at heart as well. If not, the man who says “churches,” “bars,” “restaurants,” and even “dating” ought to be able to say “protests.” Come on, Doc. How we gonna trust you?


[i] However, he did answer without answering. Dr. Fauci said, “You should stay away from crowds, no matter where the crowds are.” We all know protests are crowds—most often crowds without social distancing, and often crowds without masks.

No comments: