Translate

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pride goeth before destruction

Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings. Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him. - Isaiah 3: 10, 11

'When I was just a young boy I recall riding my bicycle in the street in front of my house. My dad was setting on the steps reading the paper or something. As I rode past I took my hands off the handlebars, set straight up on the seat, and yelled to my dad, “Hey look, no hands.” (You never did that did you?) So what do you think happened next? You probably guessed it. When I looked to my dad while showing off my new found skill I also caused the balance of things to go haywire. The next thing I knew, in just a split second the handlebars began to wobble back and forth and down I went. Fortunately for me I landed in a grassy area just off the side of the rode. My bike was fine; I was fine, even the yard I landed in did not suffer any damage. But what happened next sure crushed my ego. My dad sort of snickered and said “see what you get for showing off? You got just what you deserved.” Was my dad just being mean? No, he was trying to teach his son that showoffs often stumble over their own pride.'
Living in His Word, by Franklin Senters, August 15, 2006

No comments: