Translate

Friday, April 19, 2024

Baptist Debate History

I have a printing of the Causey-Bridwell Debate, printed in 1978. The debate actually occurred 40 years earlier, in 1938 in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. Here is some newspaper material related to it.

Daily American Republic, Monday, January 17, 1938, p. 8

Faith and Victory, Vol. 14, No. 8, July 1939, p. 6

Daily American Republic, Monday, August 8, 1938, p. 8

The above newspaper article is referenced in an appendix to the debate. Causey says that Bridwell testified he has been healed of gallstones at an earlier time. Bridwell says the August 8th newspaper report was in error.

3 comments:

Alex A. Hanna said...

with Jim Hendrix (maybe Jimi Hendrix) as moderator - it must have been quite the debate!
seriously though, i know nothing of this debate - who won?

R. L. Vaughn said...

Well, the winner of course is the same as always -- whoever we agreed with before the debate started! (That is true in most cases.) Honestly, I think I got that book in the early 80s, and at this time I do not remember that much about it. I assume that I thought Causey won. Really what was the primary interest to me was that I assumed the debate took place in the 1970s, so I was surprised that it happened in the late 1930s. So the incentive behind the post was chronological curiosity.

One thing that sometimes indicates which debater thinks he won the debate is which one has it printed. However, in this case both had it printed, though at different times.

Alex A. Hanna said...

very interesting, thank you for the explanation.