- “Bye-Paths In Baptist History: About Singing” by J. Jackson Goadby -- "Of course the mayor was not pleased thus to be baffled in seizing his prey; but “brother Terrill tould him Singing of Psalms was not contrary to ye Liturgies of ye Church of England” — for which ready speech brother Terrill was declared a ringleader, and threatened with imprisonment."
- I. T. Saunders, Hymnist -- "And speaking of God's truth, it's hard to find a hymn that expresses the Christian's gratitude for the Scriptures, but I. T. Saunders wrote one."
- Making Full Use of the Hymn Book -- "It is a pity that a congregation should never know such noble tunes as “St. Catherine,” “Miles Lane,” “Anglia,” or “Sanctuary,” merely because the choir-leader must spend all the time working over some elaborate anthem..."
- Old-Line Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book -- " I've tried to ensure that its texts are sound in doctrine and express true Christian experience, and to make the book complete enough to be used without supplement. I've also done my best to provide appropriate, varied, and singable music for every hymn."
- Singing from one book: Why hymnals matter -- "...just as Bibles in pew racks give worshipers the opportunity to study the lessons of the day in context, so physical hymnals perform a comparable function for sung texts."
- The 2008 Baptist Hymnal: Initial Impressions -- "My heritage is one of the most tradition-sensitive movements in American Evangelicalism, while still being large enough to not be completely marginalized."
- The heresy of worshiptainment -- "The great heresy of the church today is that we think we’re in the entertainment business."
- We Glorify Thy Name…Available Again --"To view or download the volume, check out the Historical Society’s webpage"
- We Shall Sleep, But Not Forever -- "One challenge of arranging a tune from one singing is that each person, and each congregation, ornaments a tune in their own way."
- Worship or Worshiptainment -- "The lights begin to dim and the crowd around you is energized as they all stand to their feet amid the laser lights, mood setting fog, and colorful swirling graphics on the walls. The music is a pounding force that begs your attention."
Sunday, October 02, 2016
Worship or Worshiptainment, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.