Translate

Friday, June 14, 2013

Helen Keller -- 1 poem and 1 anecdote

"Mine to Keep"
They took away what should have been my eyes
(But I remembered Milton's Paradise) 
They took away what should have been my ears
(Beethoven came and wiped away my tears)
They took away what should have been my tongue
(But I had talked with God when I was young).
He would not let them take away my soul:
Possessing that, I still possess the whole.
  By Helen Keller

The following I will call an anecdote, because I have seen the circumstances of it recorded slightly differently. Nevertheless, the two people and content are consistent.

Phillips Brooks is credited with  introducing Helen Keller to Christianity. Later in their continuing relationship, they exchanged letters back and forth.  In one of these letters, Helen told Brooks concerning God, "I always knew He was there, but I didn't know His name!"

No comments: