Translate

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Joist or Joyce

Not only do we misunderstand songs, we often mishear or misunderstand words used in conversation, business, etc. One I'll never forget reading is about a person who responded strangely to the observation "no man is an island", thinking he heard "no mayonnaise in Ireland".

When I started as a teenage carpenter's helper, there was a lot of technical jargon used that I had neither read nor heard. I misunderstood quite a bit, if I remember correctly. One of the most memorable to me is that I thought a "joist" (a horizontal timber at the ceiling) was a "joyce" (as in the women's name Joyce).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A word I recall being used in another context than from the common meaning today was the word "dope." I seem to recall quite a few old radio broadcasters using it especially.

To give us the "dope" of the story was to get straight to the point and be direct. I would imagine this terminology fell out of favor when the drug culture took hold in the 1960's.

Jim1927 said...

You would have a jolly good time where I grew up in East London where we spoke in Cockney Rhyme. Words were rhymed such as apples and pears for stairs, and we would just use the non-rhyming word (apples) in a sentence. I'm going apples to visit uncle ted...I'm going upstairs to bed.

Goin'round johnny is going around the corner. We walk on pavement and drive on motorway. If traffic is in a tailback we look for a layby.

Cheers,

Jim

R. L. Vaughn said...

Whether jelly or wine, it didn't come from "musky dimes".