Translate

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Cowper and Newton

Welcome cross.

'Tis my happiness below
Not to live without the cross;
But the Savior's pow'r to know,
Sanctifying every loss:
Trials must and will befall;
But with humble faith to see
Love inscribed upon them all,
This is happiness to me.

God, in Israel, sows the seeds
Of affliction, pain, and toil;
These spring up, and choke the weeds
Which would else o'erspread the soil:
Trials make the promise sweet,
Trials give hew life to prayer;
Trials bring me to his feet,
Lay me low, and keep me there.

Did I meet no trials here,
No chastisement by the way;
Might I not, with reason, fear
I should prove a cast-away:
Bastards may escape the rod,
Sunk in earthly, vain delight;
But the true-born child of GOD,
Must not, would not, if he might.


William Cowper (1731-1800)
Olney Hymns, 1779.

The joy of the Lord is your strength.
Neh 9:10

Joy is a fruit that will not grow
In nature's barren soil;
All we can boast, till CHRIST we know,
Is vanity and toil.

But where the LORD has planted grace;
And made His glories known;
There fruits of heavenly joy and peace
Are found, and there alone.

A bleeding Savior seen by faith,
A sense of pard'ning love;
A hope that triumphs over death,
Give joys like those above.

These are the joys which satisfy,
And sanctify the mind;
Which make the spirit mount on high,
And leave the world behind.


John Newton (1725-1807)
Olney Hymns, 1779.

No comments: