Translate

Monday, November 19, 2007

The contrite heart

The contrite heart.
Isa 47:15

The Lord will happiness divine
On contrite hearts bestow;
Then tell me, gracious God, is mine
A contrite heart or no?

I hear, but seem to hear in vain,
Insensible as steel;
If aught is felt, 'tis only pain,
To find I cannot feel.

I sometimes think myself inclined
To love Thee if I could;
But often feel another mind,
Averse to all that's good.

My best desires are faint and few,
I fain would strive for more;
But when I cry, "My strength renew!"
Seem weaker than before.

Thy saints are comforted, I know,
And love Thy house of prayer;
I therefore go where others go,
But find no comfort there.

Oh make this heart rejoice, or ache;
Decide this doubt for me;
And if it be not broken, break,
And heal it, if it be.


William Cowper (1731-1800)
Olney Hymns, 1779.

2 comments:

Will Fitzgerald said...

After the suicide of a daughter of a friend of mine, I felt l should lead Cambridge (287, Denson) with these words. But I also felt led to add the verse:

I’ll go to Jesus, though my sin
Hath like a mountain rose;
I know His courts, I’ll enter in,
Whatever may oppose.

R. L. Vaughn said...

May God bless the family of your friend. I am sorry to hear of their tragedy.

I like that hymn and the accompanying Sacred Harp tune Fairfield.