Translate

Sunday, July 22, 2007

“In praise of psalmody”

According to Greg Dixon, some of the benefits of Psalm-singing are: 
“You never have to wonder if you’re singing false doctrine...Since the psalms cover the full range of human experience as well as the fullness of God’s attributes, the worshiper has an ample and extensive vocabulary for worship: praise, thanksgiving, supplication, complaint, sorrow, confession, penitence, imprecation, outrage, testimony and messianic prophecy...Joy comes from knowing you are being obedient to the New Testament exhortations to sing psalms...Psalm-singing enriches and enhances your private worship as well as the public worship of God.” 
Read the rest of In praise of psalmody. – The Gospel Outpost, May 29, 2007

2 comments:

Bro. Matt said...

I've been wondering something for awhile. Wouldn't it be nice to put music to the Psalms and sing them? (I know that has already been done to many of them, but what about the rest?) We would definitely know that the song is scriptural!

R. L. Vaughn said...

I think it is a great idea. In fact, I've tried it with a few Scriptures. It's a lot harder than with a metrical hymn (at least it is for me).

Of course, all of the Psalms at some time or another have been paraphrased into metrical versions, and some denominations print psalters with these hymns and tunes for them. But I guess I'm assuming you mean the prose versions as found in the Bible? That's what I'm referring to in the first paragraph. I know a Primitive Baptist preacher who comes up with tunes for Psalms as found in the King James Version. They sing his tunes with some of the Psalms at a couple of churches where he preaches. But these are (as far as I know) just committed to memory and not written down.

Singing the Scriptures is a great idea whose time evidently hasn't come yet? or has already passed? Maybe a new generation can find the way.