Translate

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Once I had a glorious view

Oh, once I had a glorious view Of my redeeming Lord,
He said, "I'll be a God to you," And I believed His word.
But now I have a deeper stroke Than all my groanings are;
My God has me of late forsook; He's gone, I know not where.

Oh, what immortal joys I felt, On that celestial day,
When my hard heart began to melt, By love dissolved away!
By my complaint is bitter now, For all my joys are gone;
I've strayed! I'm left! I know not how; The light's from me withdrawn.

Once I could joy the saints to meet, To me they were most dear;
I then could stoop to wash their feet, And shed a joyful tear;
But now I meet them as the rest, And with them joyless stay;
My conversation's spiritless, Or else I've nought to say.

I once could mourn o'er dying men, And longed their souls to win;
I travailed for their poor children, And warned them of their sin;
But now my heart's so careless grown, Although they're drowned in vice,
My bowels o'er them cease to yearn -- My tears have left mine eyes.

I forward go in duty's way, But can't perceive Him there;
Then backward on the road I stray, But cannot find Him there;
On the left hand, where He doth work, Among the wicked crew,
And on the right I find Him not Among the favored few.

What shall I do? Shall I lie down And sink in deep despair?
Will He forever wear a frown, Nor hear my feeble prayer?
No; He will put His strength in me, He knows the way I've strolled,
And when I'm tried sufficiently I shall come forth as gold.
-- From the hymn book "Mercer's Cluster", and found with the tune Columbus on p. 67 of the Sacred Harp


1 Then Job answered and said, 2 Even to day is my complaint bitter: my stroke is heavier than my groaning. 3 Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat! 4 I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments. 5 I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would say unto me. 6 Will he plead against me with his great power? No; but he would put strength in me. 7 There the righteous might dispute with him; so should I be delivered for ever from my judge. 8 Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him: 9 On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him: 10 But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. -- Job 23:1-10

(Just wanted to make the comparison, rlv)

2 comments:

R. L. Vaughn said...

It has always seemed curious to me that denominational hymnal editors often used a different Scripture with a song instead of the one on which the hymn was based. The Denson book editors seemed to have followed that same philosophy. I'm sure there is some reason for it. I just don't know what it is.

I don't think anyone has attempted a SH index of Scriptures. Perhaps you should suggest it on the list serve. Someone might just take up the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever preached a sermon on gold? It is a most fascinating subject, including the process of finding it and its refining process. It relates very well to the Christian's life from before regeneration and leading into eternal life.

I know McArthur would not approve of such sermons, but, in my mind, sometimes secular things point out eternal truths.

It is full of impurities and must go through the refiner's fire to separate the impurities. It requires the hammer to shape it, and further processes to remove impurities. I will leave the rest to one's magination to further relate this to the Christian life and God's work in us. No wonder the old saints often referred to gold.

Cheers,

Jim