Translate

Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Lord's Day Morning

"O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary." -- Psalm 63:1,2

Early, my God, without delay,
I haste to seek thy face;
My thirsty spirit faints away
Without thy cheering grace.

So pilgrims on the scorching sand,
Beneath a burning sky,
Long for a cooling stream at hand,
And they must drink or die.

The morning of a Lord's Day, by Isaac Watts, 1719; used in the Sacred Harp with the Justin Morgan tune "Montgomery" (p. 189)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The hymn writer is bang on. I have always found early morning the best time for personal devotions and prayer. It is quiet,,,,and don't we call it a quiet time?

I read a prechosen portion of scripture as if a first reading and try to let it speak to me. What is God saying to the recipient? What are the circumstances? How can this apply to me? As a guide, I have used Scripture Union notes for years..going back to the fifties.

Cheers,

Jim