The Emancipation Proclamation -- "President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863..."
"...all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free..."
Some interesting facts about the Emancipation Proclamation
- Its application was to the states that had seceded from the Union, and did not address slavery within the United States.
- It exempted parts of the Confederacy that had already come under Union control. (It specifically named ten states and then excluded certain counties in them -- the counties that were under Union control.)
- Its promised freedom was based upon military victory.
- It was designed to make the abolition of slavery the goal of the war between the Union and the Confederacy
- It announced that black men would be accepted into the army of the United States.