Translate

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Thou shalt call His name Jesus

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The God name, Matthew 1:25
The saving name, Acts 2:21, 4:12; I John 1:12
The giving name, John 14:14, 15:16
The exalted name, Philippians 2:
The excellent name, Hebrews 1:4
The healing name, Acts 3:6, 4:10
The baptism name, Acts 19:5
The only name, Acts 4:12

Take the name of Jesus with you
There is a name I love to hear, I love to sing its worth
How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer's ear
All hail the power of Jesus name, let angels prostate fall
Blessed be the name of the Lord

Jesus! dear Name, how sweet it sounds!
Replete with balm for all our wounds:
His Word declares His grace is free,
Come, needy sinner, "Come and see."

He left the shining courts on high,
Came to our world to bleed and die;
Jesus the Lord hung on a tree,
Come, thoughtless sinner, "Come and see."

Your sins did pierce His bleeding heart,
Till death had done its dreadful part;
His boundless love extends to thee,
Come, trembling sinner, "Come and see."

His blood can cleanse the foulest stain,
Can make the vilest sinner clean;
This fountain open stands for thee,
Come, guilty sinner, "Come and see."


Isaac Watts, (1674-1748).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At our church my husband is the songleader and I am the piano player. Our church is wonderfully old fashioned. The Pastor's mother is from Kentucky and used to sing old gospel songs on the radio. She frequently mentions the old Thomas hymns and I am trying to find a hymnal with those hymns. I read you said you have a book entitled Thomas' Hymns and Spiritual Songs. Do you know where I could find a Thomas hymnal? I have searched unsuccessfully so far. Thanks and may God bless you!

R. L. Vaughn said...

Since your pastor's mother is from Kentucky, I feel fairly certain the book she is referencing is E. D. Thomas' Hymns and Spiritual Songs, first published in 1877. It was once very popular in the Midwest and Appalachia, but it seems to be out of print now. You might check e-Bay. One might turn up there once in awhile. Also you might try to contact an Old Regular Baptist minister named Bobby Scott. If anyone has brought it back into print, he would probably know. For his contact information, click HERE.

I hope this will help you. Let me know if I can help further.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou very much for your help! Music is such an important part of worshiping the Lord at our church and I really appreciate the information to hopefully find this hymnal.

Anonymous said...

Our email address is
gregandjeannedreyer@frontier.com
and our church's name is
Old Pathway Baptist Church.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you run across any other info on this hymnal I asked about.

Thankyou much again!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I keep thinking of more questions. Would you know if the Thomas hymnbook is words and piano music or words only? Thankyou again!

R. L. Vaughn said...

I don't mind at all. The Thomas book is a words-only hymn book. That is, it only has the hymn/poetry and no music to read or use for the piano. It has 600 hymns in it.