2 Timothy 4:2 “…preach the word…”
“How does a serious burdened earnest Christian proclaimer of divine truth discern whether he has preached the word, or whether he has simply preached from it or about it? Did it ever occur to you that the way the word speaks of itself is an incredible help! … Let me mention three.
“The word is described in the word as a hammer. The word is described in the word as a fire. The word is described in the word as a sword. Is it not reasonable that if I have preached the word, there will be people who are hammered; who like the hard rock are smashed to pieces. Is it not reasonable to suppose that if I have preached the word there will be those who will feel pierced by the sword of the Spirit. Is it not reasonable to suppose that there are those who have been cold and without passion who are set on fire for Jesus Christ, if I have preached the word? Is it sensible to think that I have preached the word and nobody has been smashed, nobody has been pierced, nobody has been ignited? I would think it much safe to suppose that when nothing of that sort happens, you haven’t preached the word.”
Richard Owen Roberts (1931- )
No comments:
Post a Comment