Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2024

Christ the Mediator

Arise, my soul, arise, Shake off, &c. C. Wesley. [Christ the Mediator.] 1st published in Hymns & Sacred Poems, 1742, p. 264, in 5 stanzas of 6 lines and entitled ‘Behold the Man.’ (Poetical Works, 1868-72, vol. ii. p. 323.) In 1780 it was included in the Wesleyan Hymn Book as No. 194 in an unaltered form, and has been repeated in all subsequent editions (ed. 1875, No. 202). From the Wesleyan Hymn Book it has passed into all the collections of the Methodist bodies in all English-speaking countries, and also into many hymnals outside of Methodism both in Great Britain and America. It has also been rendered into various languages. One in Latin, by the Rev. B. Bingham:—‘Surge, surge, Mens mea,’ is given in his Hymnologia Christiana Latina, 1871. Mr. Stevenson has collected in his Methodist Hymn Book Notes, 1883, numerous illustrations of the direct value which this hymn has been to many.”

-- John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907) page 78

1. Arise, my soul, arise,
Shake off thy guilty fears.
The bleeding Sacrifice
In my behalf appears.
Before the throne my Surety stands,
My name is written on his hands.

2. He ever lives above,
For me to intercede;
His all-redeeming love,
His precious blood to plead,
His blood atoned for all our race,
And sprinkles now the throne of grace.

3. Five bleeding wounds he bears,
Received on Calvary;
They pour effectual prayers,
They strongly plead for me.
“Forgive him, O, forgive,” they cry,
“Nor let that ransomed sinner die!”

4. The Father hears him pray,
His dear Anointed One;
He cannot turn away
The presence of his Son.
His Spirit answers to the blood,
And tells me I am born of God.

5. My God is reconciled,
His pard’ning voice I hear;
He owns me for a child,
I can no longer fear.
With confidence I now draw nigh,
And, “Father, Abba, Father,” cry.

H. M. (Hallelujah Meter: 6.6.6.6.8.8.). Sing to the tune Lenox, by Lewis Edson (1748–1820), an early American composer, singing master, and blacksmith. The tune first appeared in 1782 in the book The Chorister’s Companion by Simeon Jocelin and Amos Doolittle.

No comments: