Translate

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Was A. T. Robertson a conservative Baptist?

The name of A. T. Robertson is probably almost immediately recognized by older Baptist preachers, and probably most seminary Greek students and scholars. He was a great Greek scholar, but I do not see his theology as thorough-going conservatism (or even thorough-going Baptist). Robertson taught for nearly 40 years at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Concerning creation and evolution, he said the following to his students.

“Give Haeckel a primordial germ and let it be charged with potency to make the universe and he will do the rest. Give them a God to start with, only don’t call it God. Evolution, I am willing to believe in it, I rather think I do, but not in atheistic evolution. I take not a primordial germ, but God and start with Romans I, that the things around me are enough to prove God. They can not prove God was not before matter. I can not prove that he was. Lincoln at Hampton Roads Conference said: ‘Write ‘Union’ at the top, and I don’t care what you write under it.’ I say write God at the top, and what if he did use evolution? I can stand it if the monkeys can. They thing that differentiates you from a monkey is that you have a soul. If he did do it that way, he still did it.” (pp. 76-77)

“The Bible opened with the picture of a Garden. However man got in it, – evolution, I don’t know – they had fellowship with God.” (p. 175)

Changing the biblical statement that God put or placed man in the Garden to a weak and watery “however he got in” is not conservative (nor even Baptist in my understanding of the orthodox beliefs of true Baptists). A man who does not know how man got in the Garden may be qualified to teach Greek, but he is not qualified to teach the Bible. 

  • And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul...And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. Genesis 2:7, 15
  • And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2

New Testament Interpretation (Matthew – Revelation) Notes on Lectures of Dr. A. T. Robertson, 1931

2 comments:

Alex A. Hanna said...

a ploughboy with a Bible he can read and that he believes will always be more knowledgeable, helpful and beneficial than the mountain of scholars in the institutions

R. L. Vaughn said...

Amen.

I think there are two major problems related to this. Most Christians (at least in the West) have given up on being Bereans, and the scholars love to have it so.