Translate

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Acts Commentary

At our church I am conducting a weekly Bible study on the New Testament book The Acts of the Apostles. At present we have been studying Acts for over a two-and-a-half years, and are about halfway through the book (near the end of chapter 14 this week). In connection with the study I am preparing and printing comments on the text as a companion to the study of this New Testament book. My long term goal, Lord willing, is to compile, edit, and publish these notes as a commentary on the book of Acts.

I am under no illusions that there will be a high demand for a commentary by this preacher. However, I believe there is a great need for a modern commentary on the book of Acts that (1) proceeds from the belief that the Bible is inspired, infallible, accurate, trustworthy, sufficient, and providentially preserved; (2) is developed in harmony with biblical local church ecclesiology and practice; and (3) recognizes that New Testament apostolic practice is normative. Additionally, such a commentary for English readers is based on the King James Bible and supported by the Greek Textus Receptus.

I provide this explanation, because in preparing my post for today it occurred to me that I could (and perhaps should) post on my blog excerpts from my Acts commentary. The post that will follow today is not strictly an excerpt, but prepared specifically for the blog based on study and work I have done on Acts 15. If the Lord wills, going forward I will try to post material about the book of Acts from my comments on Acts on a weekly basis, perhaps on Thursdays or Fridays. It will not be all the material, and not necessarily in order. May it possibly be a blessing to someone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news! Where can I pre-order the not-yet-written book? :)

I, for one, will read your comments with great interest and attention - here on the internet and/or in book form.

E. T. Chapman

R. L. Vaughn said...

It would probably be a pre-pre-pre-order at this point, Brother! It might be ready in two or three years. Of course, I have a good bit prepared ahead. On the other hand, as we study through it, I notice things I should have mentioned, notice questions and concerns church folks have, correct errors I made, etc. So I would not expect to try to print it before I finish teaching through it. Any feedback you have as we go along will be greatly appreciated.

God bless.