Translate

Saturday, October 17, 2020

There are three things, and other music quotes

The posting of quotes by human authors does not constitute agreement with either the quotes or their sources. (I try to confirm the sources that I give, but may miss on occasion; please verify when possible.)

“There are three things I like about Sacred Harp: I like the songs they sing; I like the way they sing them; and, most of all, I like the folks that sing them.” -- Curtis Owen

“When we sing to God, we are looking hard in his direction.” -- J. I. Packer

“The Bible’s aesthetics should be the taproot of our contemporary worship aesthetics.” -- Scott Aniol

“We want to have some good singing and it is impossible to have good singing in sorry books, so everybody come and bring your Sacred Harp book.” -- Conrad, Oaky Grove community reporter to Abbeville Herald newspaper

“Music can change the world because it can change people.” -- Bono

“I feel most alive when I'm singing along to old gospel music.” -- Judith Hill

“The sacred harp singing tradition is as American as ‘Yankee Doodle,’ only much older and more so.” -- E. W. Carswell, in Pensacola News Journal, October 25, 1970

“Gospel music [is] calming. It’s soothing. It gets right to the point of whatever you’re dealing with.” -- Yolanda Adams

“Rhythm, harmony, and melody...must from the earliest age penetrate deeply into mind and soul through imitation and natural enjoyment.  Only in this way, by ordering the soul in harmony and giving it a sense of the meaning of proportion and relationship, can it be induced later to become fully rational, and to derive pleasure from the theoretic contemplation of ideas.” -- Stratford Caldecott, in Beauty for Truth’s Sake

No comments: