Translate

Sunday, August 09, 2020

An Evening Hymn

“An Evening Hymn,” by Thomas Ken (1637-1711). Ken’s evening hymn was paired with Thomas Tallis’ tune in The Harmonious Companion (London: W. Pearson, 1732). The “Praise God, from whom all blessings flow” doxology first appeared separately from Ken’s other hymns, but has since frequently be paired with various texts. It was printed with the Old Hundred tune in The Federal Harmony, Part 2 (Boston: John Norman, 1790).

1. All praise to thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light.
Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
Beneath thine own almighty wings.

2. Forgive me, Lord, for thy dear Son,
The ill that I this day have done.
That with the world, myself, and thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.

3. O! may my soul on thee repose,
And with sweet sleep mine eyelids close.
Refresh my strength, for thy own sake,
To serve my God when I awake.

4. Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heav’nly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

No comments: