Translate

Sunday, August 30, 2020

A child of Jehovah, a subject of grace

My Father’s Will. 11s. (Can be sung to Bellevue/Firm Foundation; also Redemption by Ingalls)

1. A child of Jehovah, a subject of grace,
I’m of the seed royal—a dignified race,
An heir of salvation, redeemed with blood,
I’ll own my relation, my Father is God!

2. He loved me of old, and he loveth me still
Before the creation he gave me by will
A portion worth more than the Indies of gold,
Which cannot be wasted, nor mortgaged, nor sold.

3. He gave me a Surety, a covenant Head,
To live in my name, and to die in my stead,
He gave me a righteousness wholly divine,
And viewed all the merits of Jesus as mine.

4. He gave me a Preceptor infallibly wise,
And treasures of grace to be sent in supplies;
Yea, all that I ask for my Father has given
To help me on earth, and to crown me in heaven.

5. He gave me a will to accept what he gave,
Though I was averse to his purpose to save;
He wrote in his will my repentance and faith,
And all my enjoyments for life and for death.

6. My trials and sorrows, my comforts and cares,
The spirit of prayer and the answer of prayers.
The steps that I tread, and the station I fill,
My Father determined and wrote in his will.

7. My cross and my crown are both willed by my God,
He swore to His will, and then sealed it with blood;
’Tis proved by the Spirit, the witness within,
’Tis mine to inherit, I’ll glory begin.

From The Baptist Hymn Book: comprising a Large and Choice Collection of Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs, adapted to the Faith and Order of the Old School, or Primitive Baptists, by Gilbert Beebe (2nd stereotype edition, 1859), No. 1296, page 765

No comments: