Translate

Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Name of Jesus is So Sweet

Tampa Weekly Tribune, Thursday, September 3, 1914 page 6, column 6

1. The name of Jesus is so sweet,
I love its music to repeat;
It makes my joys full and complete,
The precious name of Jesus!

2. I love the name of Him whose heart
Knows all my griefs, and bears a part;
Who bids all anxious fears depart –
I love the name of Jesus.

3. That name I fondly love to hear,
It never fails my heart to cheer;
Its music dries the falling tear –
Exalt the name of Jesus.

4. No word of man can ever tell
How sweet the name I love so well;
Oh, let its praises ever swell,
Oh, praise the name of Jesus.

Refrain:
“Jesus,” Oh, how sweet the name!
“Jesus,” ev’ry day the same;
“Jesus,” let all saints proclaim
Its worthy praise forever.

Baptist minister William Clark Martin (1864-1914) wrote this hymn. He was born December 25, 1864, at Hightstown, New Jersey. He pastored a number of Baptist churches, and died August 30, 1914, while living in Florida. Martin was pastor of the First Baptist Church in Ft. Myers, Florida, from 1912 until the time of his death. He is buried at the Fort Myers Cemetery. His wife Etta lived until 1941 and is buried at the Wood River Cemetery in Richmond, Washington County, Rhode Island. Elder Martin has a cenotaph there as well.

One early source for this song is Choice Hymns No. 1: for Use in the Church, Sunday-school, Young People’s Societies..., with the tune by E. S. Lorenz.

Camden Post-Telegram, Tuesday, September 15, 1914, page 5, column 2

No comments: