Translate

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

When Stephen, full of power and grace

C. M. D.

1. When Stephen, full of power and grace,
Went forth throughout the land,
He bore no shield before his face,
Nor weapon in his hand;
But only in his heart a flame
And on his lips a sword
Wherewith he smote and overcame
The foe-men of the Lord.

2. When Stephen preached against the laws
And by those laws was tried,
He had no friend to plead his cause,
No spokesman at his side;
But only in his heart a flame
And in his eyes a light
Wherewith God's daybreak to proclaim
And rend the veils of night.

3. When Stephen, young and doomed to die,
Fell crushed beneath the stones,
He had no curse nor vengeful cry
For those who broke his bones;
But only in his heart a flame
And on his lips a prayer
That God, in sweet forgiveness' name,
Should understand and spare.

4. Let me, O Lord, thy cause defend,
A knight without a sword;
No shield I ask, no faithful friend,
No vengeance, no reward;
But only in my heart a flame
And in my soul a dream,
So that the stones of earthly shame
A jeweled crown may seem.

Hymn by Joyce Maxtone Graham (aka Jan Struther), 1931

[Note: It is my estimation that the copyright is expired on this hymn and that it is acceptable to publish the text on my blog. If I am shown to be in error, I will be glad to remove it.]

No comments: