Translate

Saturday, April 01, 2017

7-11 choruses and contemporary songs

Folks probably assume that I am opposed to contemporary songs and choruses, but that is not correct. My main opposition is not to newness or repetition, but how the churches transform their music into something more reminiscent of a rock concert than a worship service.

Below are three songs that are somewhat outside of my experience of hymn tunes and gospel songs in church, but that I nevertheless like. Lord I lift Your Name on High is a short chorus that I like. Someone said that “it contains a short course in Christology.” I think that is about right. The brief sketch in the Awesome God chorus extols the “wisdom, power and love” of a sovereign God whose reign is awe-inspiring. We’ve sung the Galatians 2:20 scripture song in our church before. It’s Bible! What else needs to be said?

Lord I lift your name on high
You came from heaven to earth, to show the way
From the earth to the cross, my debt to pay
From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky
Lord I lift your name on high.
Written by Rick Doyle Founds, in 1989 AD
Lord I Lift Your Name On High

Awesome God
Our God is an awesome God he reigns.
From heaven above with wisdom, power and love.
Our God is an awesome God.
Written by Richard Wayne Mullins, circa 1988 AD
Awesome God

Scripture song
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Written by God through Paul, circa 55 AD
Galatians 2:20

I hope to write more on music next week. [Note: the three YouTube links were easily located and don’t represent my favorite “version” of either song.]

No comments: