Translate

Monday, January 13, 2014

When I am called to die

Read 2 Timothy 4:9-22 Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments. Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words. At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. Salute Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. Erastus abode at Corinth: but Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick. Do thy diligence to come before winter. Eubulus greeteth thee, and Pudens, and Linus, and Claudia, and all the brethren. The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.

The poetess Mary Shindler wanted her friends to "sing to me of heaven when I am called to die." The old spiritual "Give Me that Old Time Religion/Tis the Old Time Religion" tells us it is something that "will do when I am dying." At some point most people reflect on death, and what they would do -- and what they want to get done -- before they die.

We all know we are going to die, generally, for the wages of sin is death and it is appointed unto men once to die. Some get a feeling, a premonition of death, which seems to be accurate. Some have terminal diseases and know they'll not be long for this world. The apostle Paul knew his life was short because he had a sentence of death passed against him. In his last letter he wrote, "I am now ready to be offered; the time of my departure is at hand."

When we think of knowing we have only a brief time of life let, our thoughts often soar to theological heights -- to what we ought to do. It is probable that anything we ought to do living with the knowledge that we are dying we ought to do at all times whether we know we are dying or not! In such times, to what does our minds turn? To what did Paul's thoughts turn when he saw death's valley looming large in his view? Notice these things he addressed.

Reunion with friends. "Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me...Take Mark, and bring him with thee." He wanted to see Timothy and Mark, men who had co-labored with him in the ministry. Of his previous co-laborers only Luke was present. He wanted to see others.

Physical comfort. The mention of Timothy's coming, Paul's cloke, and the coming of winter, taken together, hint of Paul's desire for some degree of physical comfort -- even in this house of clay he would shortly leave.

Mental stimulation. Paul asked Timothy to bring books and parchments. We are not privy to exactly what books & parchments he wanted, but Paul did not intend to languish in self-pity or dwell on the morbid. He would read, learn, stimulate his mind as he awaited his execution. What good would that do? Who knows, maybe he would learn something to pass along to his Christian friends.

Thoughts of the future. Paul did not take the cynical approach of some -- I'll be gone so it doesn't matter what happens now. Yes, he would be gone, but he would leave many behind. He cared for them. He desired what was best for them. In his "swan song" he is teaching Timothy, exhorting Timothy, warning Timothy -- preparing Timothy for his ministry that would go on after Paul was gone, and ministry of the students of Timothy who would "teach others also". It doesn't stop with you. Pass it on.

Don't despise the small things. Paul even takes time to send the greetings of others. We may, at such a time as this, become so busy seeking the "important things" that we forget the details. Most of the lives of most of us all are not made up of grand and lofty things, but a grand compilation of lots of little details.

The days or months before death contain a series of events that we will not get to do over. No one who has gone through this will come back and tell us what they did right and what they did wrong. But we can listen to the words of an apostle writing under the inspiration of God. Maybe even learn a little something.

2 comments:

RCope said...

Amen! Excellent!

R. L. Vaughn said...

Thanks, Brother. I was very blessed by these thoughts of Paul. I hope others are too.