Building the house of God, Ezra 5:2: Then rose up Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and began to build the house of God which is at Jerusalem: and with them were the prophets of God helping them.
1. Arises from God's revelation, verse 1. Cf. Haggai 1:1; Zech. 1:1.
2. Requires leadership and cooperation, verses 1-2. Cf. Haggai 1:4-5,7; I Cor. 3:9.
3. Incites opposition, verse 3. Cf. 4:1-2,5; Zech. 3:1.
4. Emphasizes servant nature, verses 4,10,11 (names are unimportant). Cf. John 15:5; Zech. 4:6.
5. Illustrates God's sovereignty, verses 12-16.
God uses whomever He will as instruments of judgment (5:12) and/or resources of blessing (5:13-15).