Translate

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Naaman, by Newton

NAAMAN. 2 Kings 5:14
Hallelujah Meter (6.6.6.6.8.8.)

Before Elisha's gate
The Syrian leper stood;
But could not brook to wait,
He deemed himself too good:
He thought the prophet would attend,
And not to him a message send.

Have I this journey come,
And will he not be seen?
I were as well at home,
Would washing make me clean:
Why must I wash in Jordan's flood?
Damascus' rivers are as good.

Thus by his foolish pride
He almost missed a cure;
Howe'er at length he tried,
And found the method sure:
Soon as his pride was brought to yield,
The leprosy was quickly healed.

Leprous and proud as he,
To Jesus thus I came,
From sin to set me free,
When first I heard his fame:
Surely, thought I, my pompous train
Of vows and tears will notice gain.

My heart devised the way
Which I supposed he'd take;
And when I found delay,
Was ready to go back:
Had he some painful task enjoined,
I to performance seemed inclined.

When by his word he spake,
That fountain opened see;
'Twas opened for thy sake,
Go wash, and thou art free:"
O! how did my proud heart gainsay,
I feared to trust this simple way.

At length I trial made,
When I had much endured;
The message I obeyed,
I washed, and I was cured:
Sinners this healing fountain try,
Which cleansed a wretch so vile as I.


John Newton (1725-1807)
Olney Hymns, 1779

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As Naaman did so, we may come upon a river or stream which we deem unworthy. The color of the water may not suit our taste at the moment. The waves may look too unsettling. But within this water we may find our rest and cure, to be carried into that cloesness which only Christ can bring. Shall we not caste awat any foolish pride or hinderance, so we may have the courage to test the waters. There may come a time when there shall be no water to which we can encounter.