Translate

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Receiving and rejecting

I collected the following verses to illustrate the right and responsibility of visible saints to receive and/or reject those who claim to be brothers and sisters in the faith. I intended to write briefly on the subject, but haven't gotten "a round tuit", so I'm posting the verses for your perusal.

Romans 14:1 - Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Romans 16:1-2 - I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
I Cor. 5:4-5 - In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
Colossians 4:10 - Aristarchus my fellowprisoner saluteth you, and Marcus, sister's son to Barnabas, (touching whom ye received commandments: if he come unto you, receive him;)
II Thess. 3:6 - Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
II Thess. 3:14-15 - And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
I Tim. 1:19,20 - Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.
II Timothy 3:5 - Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Titus 3:10 - A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject
Philemon 12,17,28,29 - Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels:...If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself...I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful. Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation:
II John 1:10 - If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
III John 1:8 - We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth.
III John 1:10 - Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

No comments: