Translate

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

In memory

September 14, 1913 -- September 26, 2007

Each of us have an appointment we must keep, a time when we will say to Death, "Hast thou found me, O mine enemy?" This morning at approximately 10:15 a.m., my father, Charlie Leroy Vaughn, peacefully passed from the walks of this life at the age of 94 years and 12 days. He had long, full and good life. He left it rejoicing in the hope of eternal life. The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

My Dad was a farmer, a carpenter, and a Baptist deacon. But many people who knew him, knew him as a singer. Of all the songs he sang and loved, he requested only two to be sung at his funeral -- "That Sweet Home", no. 549 in the Sacred Harp (Cooper edition) and "How Great Thou Art".

O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy power through-out the universe displayed.

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!

Refrain (sung after each verse):
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

7 comments:

clinch64 said...

Robert,

I am deeply saddened by this news. Your Dad lived a full and rewarding life indeed. It is always very hard to give someone up, regardless of their age.

The thing I will remember most about your Dad was when he would reminisce about the old days. I never got tired of hearing him talk about it. All of you are in my prayers.

I will be watching for a post on the service time.

Neil

Anonymous said...

May I take this time to rejoice with you in that your father has passed from this earthly life, but been promoted to glory and all its benefits.

I appreciate the human sadness as well, and mourn with you his loss. May Christ fill yours and your families hearts with Christ's love and grace.

Cheers, and God bless,

Jim

Writer said...

R. L.,

Deepest sympathies to you and your family. I have walked where you are now walking and God is sufficient.

Les

J. Guy Muse said...

I have whispered a prayer for you and your family this day that the Lord would comfort you in the passing on of this loved one. Hymns play such an integral part of my own life and have often thought about which hymns I would like sung at my own funeral. There are so many great ones, and am still not sure which would be selected, but the one you have posted today is certainly one of the great hymns of all time.

Mark Osgatharp said...

Brother Vaughn,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Mark Osgatharp

Anonymous said...

May God grant you and your family special grace during this time.

R. L. Vaughn said...

Neil, Jim, Guy, Les, Mark, Karen --

It was a great loss. We are deeply saddened. God's grace is sufficient. God's family is good. Thanks so much for your concern.