Translate

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Books you've read

I found the following survey on Wes Kenney's blog post "Books". Thought some of you might be interested in giving your opinions. The Bible might be your legitimate answer to a number of these. But I think the survey is really designed to get you talking about what man-written books you've read, like, dislike, etc. So try and keep that in mind as you answer.

One book that changed your life:
One book that you’ve read more than once:
One book I’d want on a desert island:
One book that made me laugh:
One book that made me cry:
One book that you wish you had written:
One book you wish had never been written:
One book that you are currently reading:
One book that you’ve been meaning to read:

2 comments:

R. L. Vaughn said...

No takers? I'll post and maybe get someone else started. Here goes:

One book that changed my life: Well, on this one I can't think of any regular book I've read that has truly changed my life, and must revert back to answering The Bible.
One book that I’ve read more than once: The Tailor King (twice)
One book I’d want on a desert island: The Sacred Harp (OK, this is a song book -- so shoot me; but other than the Bible this is the only other book I'd need on a desert island)
One book that made me laugh: Can't think of one, at least not anytime lately; maybe I'd better buy some humor! Then again, for laughs I usually check out Dilbert and The Far Side
One book that made me cry: The Autobiography of Elder Wilson Thompson (the part his daughter wrote about his death; I've just finished reading this and hope to put a short review of it on my blog)
One book that I wish I had written: Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson (actually I just wish I knew that much!)
One book I wish had never been written: Darwin's Origin of the Species (OK, so this is lame, but I couldn't really think of anything else, or rather could think of lots of things but couldn't decide on anything else)
One book that I am currently reading: Well, I just finished Thompson's autobiography last night, so I'm not sure what I'll start tonight. I ordered Bill Leonard's Baptist Ways, but its shipment has been delayed. May start on Baptist Roots, edited by Freeman et al. This is a source book rather than a read-through history or bio or anything like that; so I'll be reading it in pieces
One book that I’ve been meaning to read: Baptist Ways by Bill Leonard

R. L. Vaughn said...

I started on Baptist Roots. Fortunately it is a book that can be started and stopped relatively easily. I stopped it in order to read The Bogard Schism: an Arkansas Baptist Agrarian Revolt by Christopher Bart Barber. Actually it is technically a doctor's dissertation rather than a book. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Baptist history, Baptists in Arkansas, Landmarkism, Baptist controversies, etc. I hope it, or some version of it, will soon be published as a book.