Translate

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Two hymns I hadn't heard

A couple of interesting hymns from an old Mormon hymn book (which probably explains why I hadn't heard them). What do you think of them?

1. Though in the outward church below,
The wheat and tares together grow;
Jesus ere long will weed the crop,
And pluck the tares in anger up.
2. Will it relieve their horrors there,
To recollect their stations here;
How much they heard, how much they knew,
How much among the wheat they grew?
3. No! this will aggravate their case,
They perish'd under means of grace;
To them the word of life and faith
Became an instrument of death.
4. We seem alike when thus we meet,
Strangers might think we all were wheat;
But to the Lord's all-searching eyes,
Each heart appears without disguise,
5. The tares are spared for various ends,
Some for the sake of praying friends;
Others the Lord, against their will,
Employs his counsels to fulfil.
6. But though they grow so tall and strong,
His plan will not require them long;
In harvest, when He saves his own,
The tares shall into hell be thrown.

1. Salem's bright King, Jesus by name,
In ancient times to Jordan came
All righteousness to fill;
'Twas there the ancient prophet stood,
Whose name was John, a man of God,
To do his Master's will.
2. The holy Jesus did demand
His right to be baptized then,
The prophet gave consent;
On Jordan's banks they did appear,
And lo, John and his Master dear,
Then down the bank they went.
3. Down in old Jordan's rolling stream;
The prophet led the holy Lamb,
And there did him baptize:
Jehovah saw his darling Son,
And was well pleas'd in what he'd done,
And own'd him from the skies.
4. The opening heaven now complies,
The Holy Ghost like lightning flies,
Down from the courts above:
And on the holy heavenly Lamb,
The Spirit lights and does remain,
In shape like a fair dove.
5. This is my Son, Jehovah cries,
The echoing voice from glory flies,
O, children, hear ye him;
Hark! 'tis his voice, behold he cries,
Repent, believe, and be baptiz'd,
And wash away your sin.

"Salem's bright king" may have first appeared in the 4th edition (1810) of Smith & Jones' Hymns and Spiritual Songs, for the Use of Christians.
Let Us Sing

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert

While both are well tell a strong story, I particularly like the first. Are these set to any tunes I would recognize and if not what is the meter of the first.

Yep, totally iggorant of the basics.

Pete

R. L. Vaughn said...

Pete, I don't know about particular tunes they might have been used with. The first hymn is "L.M. (Long Meter 8,8,8,8)". Many Sacred Harp songs will fit with this -- e.g. Ester, Windham, Devotion, or even Stratfield.

The second hymm meter is more uncommon -- Common Particular Meter (8,8,6,8,8,6). Some songs in the SH with this meter are Refreshing Showers/Nashville and Harmony.

R. L. Vaughn said...

When Thou, my righteous Judge, shall come
To fetch Thy ransomed people home
Shall I among them stand?
Shall such a worthless worm as I
Who sometimes am afraid to die
Be found at Thy right hand?

Yes, if we look at the original hymn without the repetions, it is the same metrical pattern as "Salem's Bright King". This suggests that the tune in the Harp of Ages might have originally been coupled with the words I have in my original post.

R. L. Vaughn said...

Interesting...

Anonymous said...

Robert: The best I can remember, you posted the first hymn (The Wheat and Tares) some time back, and indicated it was written by John Newton. At that time I saved it for my personal addition to the Goble Hymnal. Hoyt Sparks
P.S. As a reminder: If anyone would like to have an electronic copy of the Goble Hymnal, please let me know. hoytsparks@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

P.S. The last line of the last hymn should be changed to read:
"Your sins He washed away."
Hoyt Sparks

R. L. Vaughn said...

Hoyt, you have a better memory than I do. Sometimes I can't remember from one day to the next!

Hope you readers will take advantage of getting an electronic copy of the Gobel hymn book from Bro. Sparks if you need one.

Meushnei said...

Though in the outward is a work by John Newton. Here's a source from Google Books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=h7U9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA9&dq=%22Though+in+the+outward%22#PPA504,M1

As far as Salem's Bright King goes, it was known in 1831 (which probably means it's older). Here's my reference: http://books.google.com/books?id=ZEj3_pKfl6AC&pg=PA384&dq=%22Salem%27s+Bright+King%22&as_brr=1

Google Books is a great place to search for old hymn information.

Anyway, I'm sure it's not an original Mormon hymn. You can also find it on the Digital Library of Appalachia: http://www.aca-dla.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Berea&CISOPTR=364&REC=19

Has anyone ever seen the tune used with the Mormon/LDS printing of this in another hymnal? Here's the HymnWiki URL, which contains PDF sheet music and a midi for it:
http://www.hymnwiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Salem%27s_Bright_King

It's a very nice tune, although I'd probably like to use it with different lyrics, myself. I'd also like to find the rest of the parts for it, the tune name, and the composer.

Meushnei said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R. L. Vaughn said...

Meushnei, welcome to "Seeking the Old Paths", and thanks for the information and links.

Meushnei said...

Thanks for the welcome—and you're welcome for the links! I've discovered a few things about Salem's Bright King. The tune I was looking for is called Garden Hymn, and I've seen a claim that it's definitely an LDS tune. See this link (it's a cached link for a site that once sold a reprinting of the first LDS hymnal, only with tunes set to the lyrics):
http://web.archive.org/web/20070513150327/www.earlyldshymns.com/1835_index.htm

I really want to buy that book some day—I hope they get back on the web eventually. Maybe it tells who the composer was.

Hmm, since finding the tune name, I checked it on Google Books and found just about everything else I was looking for! It was composed by Jeremiah Ingalls (1764–1838), 1804. Here's a link to the hymnal with the information: http://books.google.com/books?id=UT6yB2_514YC&printsec=titlepage#PPA288,M1
This book doesn't associate the tune with Salem's Bright King, though, and the tune is a bit different from the version in the 1844 LDS hymnal (but it's apparently based on the same thing).

Hmm, I just looked up this composer on the Cyberhymnal and I found out that he wrote another song of which I could not seem to find a composer (the tune used with Awake Ye That Slumber, in the 1844 LDS hymnal). This search is providing me with all sorts of miraculous information (do you know how much I've tried to find tune information for the tune used with 'Awake Ye That Slumber'?

Interesting how the Cyberhymnal song with the tune used with Awake Ye That Slumber has the words "Salem's Bright King" in the lyrics. Here's a link (I Love Thee, is the song):
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/l/ilovethe.htm

Another hymnal associated a tune called Chardon with Salem's Bright King: http://books.google.com/books?id=shoy9t0knBsC&pg=RA2-PA373&dq=%22Salem%27s+Bright+King%22&as_brr=1

Wow—thanks for starting this blog entry and motivating me to find this stuff. I better get going. Do well!

Meushnei said...

It doesn't look like that claim about it being definitely LDS was right, but then, I haven't checked to see if he ever joined the LDS church. I wonder where they got their information.

Meushnei said...

Ah, it looks like I misinterpreted what they meant. Definite LDS meant there was an LDS association (not that an LDS person wrote the tune).

The tune used with Though in the Outward in the 1844 LDS hymnal was called Harvest Home. (I don't know whether you were looking for that information).

Anonymous said...

a great version of "salem" is on Ginny Hawker and Tracy Schwarz's CD "Draw Closer." Very haunting!

R. L. Vaughn said...

Anon, thanks for the information about the CD.