Translate

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Earth warmest in 12,000 years

An article in our newspaper today discussed a study conducted by scientists. The study claims that the earth has reached its warmest point in the last 12,000 years. The study "also found that the planet has warmed to within one degree Celsius of the hottest temperature of the last million years."

Since this study is scientific rather than political, one would assume that it is not agenda driven. But I must say that I wonder about it. I'd like to see discussion of who recorded the earth's temperatures 12,000 years ago. And if they didn't have access to records of 12,000 year old scientists/meteorologists, then explain how they know the temperature of the earth 12,000 years ago.

Anyone know from whence this claim?

3 comments:

R. L. Vaughn said...

To say that is fairly reliable is different, IMO, than to say that it IS. I guess what I want to hear them say is something like, "if we have interpreted our research correctly, the earth is at its warmest in 12,000 years" as opposed to "the earth IS at its warmest is 12,000 years". Of course, that may be what THEY are actually saying and that is just part of what the media excerpts for brevity or effect or whatever.

Mark Osgatharp said...

Since, according to God's word, the world is not much over 6,000 years old, then what went on 12,000 years ago is a moot question.

Mark Osgatharp

R. L. Vaughn said...

Yes, I agree from our standpoint it doesn't really matter what supposedly happened in a time that didn't exist. I'm sure most of those scientists may really believe that the earth is billions of years old. But my point was that someone is being dishonest even with what THEY believe. Either they or the media have not been honest enough to say this is what we believe, not what we definitely know to be a fact.

I have no problem with someone promoting what they believe, even if I don't agree with it. I have a problem with claiming theory is fact.