Translate

Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Faithlife/Logos Bible Software, yea or nay?

A friend who is a missionary (and who uses Logos) took exception to some comments in an e-book that was warning about the dangers of Logos Bible Software. I generally agree with him, but have some reverse concerns I think are worth considering. For safety’s sake (location-wise), I will not identify him. This friend wrote:

Recently, David Cloud’s ministry wayoflife.org has published an ebook warning about the dangers of Logos Biblesoftare. As a regular user of Logos Bible Software since 2018 who finds much benefit from using the software, I must respectfully but firmly disagree with the warnings issued in this article.

The descriptions given in the article above seem to reflect a misunderstanding of how Logos actually works and what it truly is.

Consider the following excerpt from the article:

“In the very simplest terms, Logos links together thousands of texts and keys them all to the Scripture. The Bible becomes a sort of hub around which the whole tradition revolves. But, all the texts are linked to each other as well. So, as you read the Bible the software is mining the data of the library for information about the passage. What did St. Augustine say? Aquinas? Vatican II? Once you start following a thread, you can go in any direction with it. This is a recipe for doctrinal disaster and spiritual shipwreck.”

This comment is misleading. What the article fails to mention is that Logos functions based on the contents of your personal library and you are the one who chooses what goes into it.

For example, my own Logos library consists largely of theologically conservative resources and technical linguistic tools, due to my involvement in Bible translation. I also own a copy of the Quran and a Christian commentary on it for reference. I have a Pentecostal Study Bible as well, not for doctrine, but to understand how Pentecostal readers interpret certain passages, because Pentecostalism is popular in the Ugandan context we minister in. If someone wanted to, they could build a Logos library made up entirely of trusted authors and resources. Logos itself is not deceptive or dangerous, it’s a tool. The danger comes only if someone naively fills their library with bad theology.

Yes, I recognize that the company behind Logos (Faithlife) includes people I strongly disagree with theologically. But so does the company that made the computer or smartphone used to write and publish the article in question and which you are using to read this! Using software developed by people with wrong theological views is not equivalent to partnering in ministry with theological liberals, and it certainly isn’t a violation of biblical separation.

I am a fundamentalist. I am a conservative. I believe in biblical separation. But this article misrepresents both the software and the issue. Separation applies to fellowship and cooperation, not owning or reading reference books that contain error. Even Paul quoted pagan poets (Acts 17:28) and was aware of non-Christian writings (Titus 1:12).

Another article on wayoflife.org claims:

“Logos and Faithlife are actively promoting Catholic books, not to scholars but even to the weakest believers, again, with no warning whatsoever.”

Again, this is misleading. When you browse Logos to purchase a base library, you’re clearly presented with denominational options; Anglican, Baptist, Lutheran, Reformed, Catholic, and so on. Suggesting that Logos is “promoting” Catholicism is like claiming your local public library promotes Catholicism simply because Catholic materials are on the shelves.

Don’t take my word for it, visit the Logos website yourself. See if it actually appears to be “promoting” Catholicism. From what I’ve seen, it’s clear that the platform offers theological libraries tailored to various users’ beliefs. Would I personally offer Catholic resources if I ran Logos? Possibly as reference tools. (As I said, I own an Orthodox Study bible and a Pentecostal Study Bible on Logos, not for doctrine or to try and gain edification from them, but to be familiar with their views in order to refute them.)

In the south, there’s a Christian bookstore chain called Mardel. They carry many theologically problematic books, but they also sell KJV Bibles, Strong’s Concordances, and other similar resources. Am I compromising by purchasing only good resources from them? Or am I responsible for exercising discernment in what I choose to buy and use? I believe it’s the latter.

There is no reason why someone who is part of a solid Bible-teaching church could not ask their pastor for guidance on trustworthy authors and then buy resources from those authors and use Logos in a biblically safe and edifying way. The issue is not the software, it’s how it’s used.

Would we also warn against using Amazon Kindle because it offers morally and theologically corrupt books? Amazon offers really awful books, and I mean morally bankrupt stuff. Ironically, the bottom of the wayoflife web page includes this line:

“Format Note: Kindle apps and devices can now use/convert ePub format.”

Where is the warning about Kindle? Or Libraries? Or Bookstores?

Logos is a powerful digital tool that can be used for good or bad, depending on the wisdom and discernment of the user. To reject it outright based on guilt-by-association or hypothetical dangers is not justified.

Any tool when used by an untrained or undiscerning person can be misused. That is not an argument against the tool, it’s an argument for biblical discipleship and spiritual maturity. We should be warning people about poor study habits and bad theology, not about Bible software that can serve faithful students of God’s Word if used wisely.

Initial disclaimers: I have read my friend’s critique, but have not read the free e-book on David Cloud’s site, “The Deceptive Dangers of Logos Bible Software,” by Brian Snider. I do not use Logos Bible Software (not because of theological or separation reasons, but for practical and financial reasons).

The short version of the charges asserted by Brian Snider is that Logos (1) is an ecumenical blending machine, and (2) can easily draw the individual into association with heretics and put him under the influence of heresy.

I generally agree with the pushback made by the missionary. We have liberty to do business with companies that serve our needs, whether they are providing food, fuel, facts, and so on. 1 Corinthians chapter 8 provides some helpful direction here. I regularly fuel up my car at a station that provides a decent price per gallon, as well as certain discounts. I have no knowledge of their religious or moral persuasion (nor do I have that knowledge concerning any other fuel providers in my area). I think that rule applies in a general way across the board. It’s not wrong to buy leg of lamb at the local meat market owned by a United Pentecostal couple, even though I might suppose that they tithe in support of their local church, which teaches several heresies.

However, the lines can get a little blurrier with businesses which operate as quasi-ministries. For example, though I assume Faithlife/Logos probably most simply considers itself a business, they do throw around statements that claim they are involved in Christian ministry – like their mission being “to equip the Church to grow,” “to serve the Church,” “to increase biblical literacy,” and such like. Additionally, some of the stuff on their website sounds quite ecumenical and even DEI-leaning. That does not make me feel a need to condemn anyone who is benefitting from this technology. On the other hand, if I were considering such an investment, it would drive me personally to look elsewhere. Your mileage may vary. Here is an illustration of how I would approach it. If we had two meat markets in town, with equally honest and respectable owners, the owner of one being United Pentecostal and the owner of the other being Baptist – I would throw my business toward the Baptists, even if the meat at the other store might tend to be slightly better/cheaper/etc.

Additionally, I believe it is a logical fallacy to say that if someone does not warn against everything, they cannot warn against anything. It is not humanly possible to know and warn about everything! Sometimes we simply prioritize our warnings.

Finally, a sort of Romans 14:3 application might go a long way here: “Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth.” If you believe you need to warn people about possible dangers of Logos/Faithlife, do so. If a faithful friend knows how to navigate it for personal benefit, do not judge him as unfaithful. Receive the benefit you can from both “Brian Snider’s ebook” and the pushback against it. As for me, I can get along fine without Logos/Faithlife, while not condemning everyone who uses it. However, be careful with any and every tool you decide to use! A wonderfully beneficial electric circular saw can also cut off your finger.

No comments: