Translate

Sunday, April 04, 2021

Christ Arose

Baptist minister Robert Lowry in 1874 wrote both words and music of Christ Arose, consisting of three stanzas and a refrain. I can remember hearing it from early in my life.

Robert Wadsworth Lowry (March 12, 1826–November 25, 1899) was born in Pennsylvania. He joined the Baptist Church at age 17, and soon after entered the University of Lewisburg. Lowry was a Baptist minister as well as a composer of Christian songs. He pastored churches in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Lowry served as a faculty member and chancellor at the University of Lewisburg, and as President of the New Jersey Baptist Sunday School Union. Lowry married first Anna Rhees Loxley (1824–1890) and they had five children. He married second Mary Jane Runyon (1852–1941). He worked as a music editor for Biglow Publishing Company, and wrote around 500 tunes, including Marching to Zion, Nothing But the Blood, I Need Thee Every Hour, Christ Arose, Shall We Gather at the River (Beautiful River) and How Can I Keep from Singing. Lowry died in New Jersey. He is buried at the Hillside Cemetery in Scotch Plains, Union County, New Jersey. Lowry said, “I have always looked upon myself as a preacher and felt a sort of depreciation when I began to be known more as a composer.”

1. Low in the grave he lay,
Jesus my Savior,
Waiting the coming day,
Jesus my Lord!
 
2. Vainly they watch his bed,
Jesus my Savior;
Vainly they seal the dead,
Jesus my Lord! 

3. Death cannot keep its prey,
Jesus my Savior;
He tore the bars away,
Jesus my Lord!

Refrain:
Up from the grave he arose (he arose),
With a mighty triumph o’er his foes (he arose),
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,
And he lives forever, with his saints to reign.
He arose (he arose)! he arose (he arose)!
Hallelujah! Christ arose! 

Jesus Christ arose. He arose from the grave. He arose a Victor. He lives forever. Hallelujah!

No comments: