Translate

Sunday, November 15, 2020

Christ washing his disciples feet, John 13

The following common meter hymn on Christ washing his disciples feet (John 13:1-17) was written by English Baptist John Needham in 1768. It is found in Hymns Devotional and Moral on Various Subjects, Hymn 92, page 109 (Bristol: S. Farley, 1768).

1. What wonder’s this? ye saints behold
Your Saviour rise from meat;
In servile garb the master stands
To wash the servants feet.

2. The limpid stream with care he pours
Into a laver clean,
Wash’d by his hands the servants muse
What this strange thing should mean.

3. Wash me, blest Jesus, in thy blood,
And make me clean within;
Thy blood the sov’reign virtue had
To cleanse from every sin.

4. Great pattern of humility!
Teach me to condescend,
And by each office shew myself
To thee, to thine a friend.

5. Let vain and stupid mortals boast
Their wealth, or noble blood;
Teach me the humble are the great
And greatest those most good.

6. Lord, may the Spirit cleanse my soul
From envy, wrath and pride;
And may a love inflam’d by thine
My other passions guide.

No comments: