Translate

Monday, July 01, 2013

10 Things Robert Edward Lee said

About The War
"It is well that war is so terrible, lest we should grow too fond of it."
"I tremble for my country when I hear of confidence expressed in me. I know too well my weakness, that our only hope is in God."
"We have fought this fight as long, and as well as we know how. We have been defeated. For us as a Christian people, there is now but one course to pursue. We must accept the situation."
"The war...was an unnecessary condition of affairs, and might have been avoided if forbearance and wisdom had been practiced on both sides."
"I have carefully searched the military records of both ancient and modern history, and have never found Grant's superior as a general. I doubt that his superior can be found in all history."

About some other things
"I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it."
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
"The march of Providence is so slow and our desires so impatient; the work of progress so immense and our means of aiding it so feeble; the life of humanity is so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope."
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies."
"My trust is in the mercy and wisdom of a kind Providence, who ordereth all things for our good."

No comments: