Translate

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Everlasting Father by Royce Smith

I understand the reluctance of some to accept the phrase the everlasting father (Isa. 9:6) in reference to our Lord Jesus Christ because it seems to confound Him with God the Father. Does the fact God is called Spirit in John 4:24 confound Him with the Holy Spirit who is often called the Spirit? Or must we confine the reference in John 4:24 to the Holy Spirit because this name might confound the persons of the Father and Holy Spirit?

Let me cite two passages which refer to our Lord Jesus Christ as having children. Psalm 45:16 quotes the Father as saying to our Lord Jesus Christ, "Instead of thy fathers shall be thy children, whom thou mayest make princes in all the earth." Hebrews 2:13 quotes our Lord Jesus Christ as saying, "And again I will put my trust in him, and again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me." The phrase "Behold, I and the children which God hath given me" is a quotation from the Hebrew text of Isaiah 8:18. Now, if our Lord Jesus Christ has children given to Him, then He must be a Father to them. Since they were given to Him in the everlasting covenant, wouldn't He be an everlasting Father? In my simple way of thinking, it seems better to interpret the phrase everlasting Father of our Lord Jesus on the basis of the statements in Psalm 45:16, Hebrews 2:13, and Isaiah 8:18 than to cast doubt on the validity of the Hebrew text.
-- By Royce Smith, Bethel Baptist Church, Choctaw, OK

No comments: