Translate

Friday, July 09, 2010

A $50 Lesson.....

Copied from an e-mail

"I recently asked my friends' little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up.

"She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there smiling.

"So I asked her, 'If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?'

"She replied, 'I'd give food and houses to all the poor homeless people.'

"Her parents beamed with pride.

"'Wow...what a worthy goal.' I told her, 'But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep up my yard, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store near where the homeless guys hang out, and you can give one the $50 to use toward food and a new house.'

"She thought that over for a few moments, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, 'Why doesn't the homeless guy just come over and do the work, and then you can just pay him the $50?'

"I said, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.'

"Her parents still aren't speaking to me."

Copied

[Note: I don't think she'd fit in the current Republican Party either.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Humorous to a degree, yet sad on another end. It is true that the younger generation is suffering from "workitis" regardless of their political affiliation. Hold on, I take that back somewhat. At least their fingers are getting a workout, when they have 1000 people on their "buddy list." It makes you wonder if they do anything else.

On a more serious note, this goes to show you what a misconception the public has long had regarding the poor in connection between Democrats and Republicans. If the Democratic Party are the champions for the poor, then why are there still so many of them? Could it perhaps be the individual rather than the party? We have had quite a few Democratic administrations in the last 100 years. Would you not think much progress should have been made by now to eradicate poverty?

Also, it seems like the wealthy do just as well, whether it be a Republican or Democratic administration in control. Besides, the majority of American wealth is held by a very small percentage. I believe it can be traced back to the economic collapse of 1929 and the fact that it just so happened a Republican president was in office. So many just can't seem to let go of this, even though it is now some 80 years removed. But it's still a rallying cry for many a Democrat. I find it interesting to see that many Republican strongholds have long been in rural areas. Such as the midwestern farming areas. Not exactly a place where you will find a lavish atmosphere. You just have to love the world of American politics.

Adrian Neal said...

Funny & true, IMO.