Translate

Monday, May 07, 2007

Being single

There is nothing wrong with being single.

It is good
I Cor. 7:1,8,26 -- Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman... I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I... I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be.

It is a gift
I Cor. 7:7 -- For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

It is useful
I Cor. 7:32,33 -- But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

1 comment:

R. L. Vaughn said...

Brother or Sister Anonymous--

I believe you are right that many, if not all, who have been married for many years would have a hard time relating to (or remembering) being single. But I would hasten to add that the person "advocating the position" in the verses quoted above was walking in the same condition of singleness. So he should be considered one who could relate to being single.

The Scriptures above were posted for a singular purpose -- to point out that the Bible does not advocate marriage for every person, though it is the norm for most. So the person who has chosen singleness or has that gift cannot and should not be looked down upon.

May God bless you as you seek His will in this matter in your life.