Translate

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Riddle

Just for fun

I ran across this riddle many years back. I don't know the original source. Can you find the answer and appropriate Scripture references? Figure it out and leave your answer in the comments. Don't look at the comments until you have the answer.

My aunt became my mother-in-law,
My cousin was my spouse;
Which made complex relationships
For members of our house.

My sister was my wife-in-law,
If you know what I mean;
But I produced the favored sons,
Though one I've scarcely seen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. aunt & mother-in-law - Rebecca
2. cousin & spouse - Jacob
3. sister & "wife-in-law" - Leah
4. favored sons - Joseph & Benjamin

Answer = Rachel

R. L. Vaughn said...

Yes. The answer is Rachel. Her mother-in-law, Rebekah, was a sister to her father, Laban (cf. Gen. 29:12-18) -- making her husband Jacob her cousin. Jacob was tricked by Laban into also marrying Leah, Rachel's sister (29:23-26), so Rachel's sister was her "wife-in-law". Rachel gave birth to Joseph (Gen 30:22-24) and Benjamin (Gen. 35:16-20), but died when Benjamin was born. As sons of the favorite wife, they appeared to be favored sons (cf. Gen. 37:3,4; 42:36). Benjamin's name means "son of the right hand". As she was dying, Rachel called him Benoni, "son of my sorrow".