Pages

▼

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

King James Whole Marginal Notes

In An Exhaustive Listing of the Marginal Notes of the 1611 edition of the King James Bible Calvin George wrote, “At least 9 entire verses were rewritten in marginal notes.” In his Lesson 212 The AV 1611: Examining The Marginal Notes, Bryan Ross mentioned this comment by George. Alex Hanna compiled a list of all such verses at the Literatura Bautista web site. (He found twelve.)

Twelve Whole Verse Alternative Renderings
  1. 1 Samuel 3:7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him: Or, thus did Samuel, before he knew the LORD; and before the word of the LORD was revealed unto him
  2. 2 Kings 19:25 Hast thou not heard long ago how I have done it, and of ancient times that I have formed it? now have I brought it to pass, that thou shouldest be to lay waste fenced cities into ruinous heaps: Or, Hast thou not heard how I have made it long ago, and formed it of ancient times? Should I now bring it to be laid waist, and fenced cities to be ruinous heaps?
  3. Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Or, After I shall awake though this body be destroyed, yet out of my flesh shall I see God
  4. Job 40:24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares: Or, will any take him in his sight? or bore his nose with a ginn?
  5. Psalm 120:3 What shall be given unto thee?: Or, what shall the deceitful tongue give unto thee? or what shall it profit thee?
  6. Psalm 120:4 Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper: Or, It is as the sharp arrows of the mighty man with coals of juniper
  7. Psalm 121:1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help: Or, shall I lift up mine eyes to the hills? whence should my help come?
  8. Proverbs 17:10 A reproof entereth more into a wise man, than an hundred stripes into a fool: Or, a reproof aweth more a wise man, then to strike a fool an hundred times
  9. Proverbs 25:23 The North wind driveth away rain, so doeth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue: Or, The North wind bringeth forth rain, so doeth a backbiting tongue, an angry countenance
  10. Proverbs 26:10 The great God that formed all things both rewardeth the fool, and rewardeth transgressors: Or, a great man grieveth all, and he hireth the fool, he hireth also transgressors
  11. Isaiah 37:26 Hast thou not heard long ago, how I have done it; and of ancient times, that I have formed it? now have I brought it to pass, that thou shouldest be to lay waste defenced cities into ruinous heaps: Or, Hast thou not heard how I have made it long ago, and formed it of ancient times? Should I now bring it to be laid waste, and defenced cities to be ruinous heaps?
  12. 2 Timothy 2:6 The husbandman that laboureth, must be first partaker of the fruits: Or, the husbandman laboring first must be partaker of the fruits
Ten *Honorable Mentions* (either most of the verse, “Or” or “More Literal”)
  • Exodus 32:29 For Moses had said, Consecrate yourselves today to the LORD, even every man upon his son, and upon his brother: Or, And Moses said, Consecrate yourselves today to the LORD, because every man hath been against his son, and against his brother, etc
  • 2 Samuel 20:18 They were wont to speak in old time, saying, They shall surely ask counsel at Abel: and so they ended the matter: Or, they plainly spake in the beginning, saying, surely they will ask of Abel; and so make an end
  • 1 Chronicles 21:20 And Ornane turned back and saw the Angel, and his four sons with him hid themselves: Or, When Ornan turned back, and saw the Angel, then he and his four sons with him, hid themselves
  • Jeremiah 25:35 And the shepherds shall have no way to flee, nor the principal of the flock to escape: Heb. flight shall perish from the shepherds, and escaping from, etc.
  • Amos 2:13 I am pressed under you, as a cart is pressed that is full of sheaves: Or, I will press your place as a cart full of sheaves presseth
  • Psalm 89:18 the LORD is our defense, and the holy One of Israel is our king: Or, our shield is of the LORD, and our king is of the holy One of Israel
  • Psalm 140:11 evil speaker be established in the earth, evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him: Heb. a man of tongue, or, an evil speaker, a wicked man of violence be established in the earth, let him be hunted to his overthrow
  • Psalm 141:5 Let the righteous smite me, it shall be a kindness, and let him reprove me, it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: Or, let the righteous smite me kindly, and reprove me, let not their precious oil break my head, etc.
  • Jeremiah 18:14 the snow of Lebanon which cometh from the rock of the field? or shall the cold flowing waters that come from another place be forsaken?: Or, my fields for a rock, or for the snow of Lebanon? shall the running waters be forsaken for the strange cold waters?
  • Hebrews 2:16 took not on him the nature of Angels, but he took on him the seed of Abraham: Gr. he taketh not hold of Angels, but of the seed of Abraham he taketh hold

On October 29, 2023, Brian Ross updated this with the lesson The AV 1611: Examining The Marginal Notes (Complete & Partial Verse Rewrites) with associated PDF notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment